There is a noticeable gap in our university curriculum -- the advertising industry. In an effort to bridge the gap between academia and industry, in partnership with the Canadian Marketing Association, Canada’s Next Top Ad Exec provided an exclusive opportunity to university students to look into the world of advertising.
Branded ‘Ad Day’, we offered a one-day course in advertising that included speakers from both client and agency backgrounds who shared their wisdom and experiences, allowing students to engage with the creative elements and gain a better understanding of advertising. They were even willing to share a few of their trade secrets.
The course helped to prepare students on current media and production trends and best practices. We learned a lot. To narrow it down, here’s my Top Ten ah-ha moments from Ad Day:
- There are 6.8 billion people in the world, 5.1 billion own a cell phone and only 4.2 billion own a toothbrush.
- The easier relationship is with ten thousand people, the hardest is with one.
- Visa can predict divorce to a 98% accuracy level two years in advance.
- Shopper marketing is the fastest growing sector of advertising.
- 52% of people turn to the internet before they make a purchase.
- Sometimes you have to redefine the way people shop for your product in order to properly advertise it like Claussen Pickles did in its campaign.
- Your online activity can predict your purchasing patterns.
- The paradox of choice - the more choices we have the less happy we are.
- Learning to write a good brief is as important as your campaign.
- Marketers are getting to know their customers better than they know themselves; with great power comes great responsibility.
A call-out to the Ad Day presenters:
Jason Dubroy, Vice-President, Shopper Marketing Division, DDB
Paul Tedesco, Vice-President, Business Unit Director, Rapp DDB
Melody Adhami, COO & President, Plastic Mobile
David Thompson, Direct Marketing Consultant, Canada Post
Haneen Khalil, Senior Brand Manager, PepsiCo Canada
And a Call-out to Students interested in entering Canada’s Next Top Ad Exec competition. It’s not too late, registration is open. The first submission deadline after your registration is January 28, 2013. (Yes, the competition happens over stages.) Visit www.topadexec.com for all the details.
Chief Sponsorship Officer, Top Ad Exec, Executive Team