The Canadian Marketing Association’s latest leadership paper shows the reasons why marketing must be firmly rooted in the sustainability movement.
The 22-page CMA publication includes perspectives by leaders in marketing sustainability, including Coca-Cola, Tim Hortons, RBC, Weber Shandwick, the Sustainability Learning Centre and The Packaging Association.
“Consumers will continue to place a great emphasis on sustainability and the market will reward those companies that respond or anticipate accordingly,” note the paper’s authors. However, companies must first completely integrate sustainability throughout the entire organization.
Among the recommended steps outlined in the paper:
- Appoint a Chief Sustainability Officer to ensure that the company’s sustainability path aligns with the business priorities and values of the organization.
- Ensure that the goals and purpose are communicated at all levels throughout your organization and that the call to action is understood.
- Communicate your sustainability story in the social world to ensure engagement among all stakeholders.
- Foster one-on-one dialogue and feedback with customers, employees and members of the community on your sustainability initiatives.
- Develop content that showcases results and engage stakeholders and key media in communicating results.