What is the Chartered Marketer Designation?
The Chartered Marketer (CM) designation recognizes the top marketing talent in Canada.
As a standardized, nationally-recognized and continuous formal training program, the Chartered Marketer designation allows you to commit to your professional growth, manage your skill development and invest in your career.
View a list of Chartered Marketer designation holders.
Why should I become a Chartered Marketer?
- Gain national recognition as a top marketing professional
- Demonstrate a consistent, high standard to inspire future talent
- Continually invest in your skill development
- Manage your career path with accountability
- Assert the value of marketing as a credible profession
Am I eligible?
For a limited time only (until Dec. 31, 2018), senior marketers have the opportunity to apply for the Chartered Marketer designation ahead of the Chartered Marketer comprehensive program launch.
Do you have a minimum of 10 years’ senior marketing experience? And either
- Hold an executive or senior marketing position in an organization with responsibility for any but not necessarily all of budgets, staffing and administrative oversight, or
- Work at a senior or executive level in an advertising/marketing firm, research firm or marketing consulting firm, or
- Teach marketing and/or related courses at a post-secondary institution.
To see if you qualify, download the CM Application Instructions or contact us.
How do I apply?
Step 2: Complete Required Ethics for Marketers On-Demand Course
Once your completed application form, application fee and reference letters have been received, your application will be considered and reviewed by a committee of your peers.
Applicants will also be asked to take and pass a short online Ethics for Marketers On-Demand Course.
Step 3: Receive the Chartered Marketer Designation
Upon successful completion of the Ethics for Marketers On-Demand Course, you will be granted the right to use the Chartered Marketer (CM) designation by the Canadian Marketing Association, which you can use for up to one year. If your application is not approved, you will receive a formal email indicating what steps you can take in order to be eligible for the designation in the future.
To retain the Chartered Marketer designation, you will be required to maintain Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements, abide by the Code of Conduct for Professional Marketers, as well as pay the Chartered Marketer annual membership fee of $450 CAD.
Chartered Marketer Designation Usage Guidelines
The information below is intended to provide guidance to Chartered Marketers (CMs) as awarded by the Canadian Marketing Association (CMA) regarding their use of the CM designation. The use of the CM designation is not regulated; however, the CMA strongly recommends that CMs abide by these guidelines for consistency.
Use of the “CM” Initials in Signatures
Chartered Marketers may add CM to the end of their names as follows:
- The use of a comma between your name and your designations is optional (e.g. Jane Doe CM; Jane Doe, CM.)
- The use of a comma between designations is required (e.g. John Doe, CMS, CM. or Jane Doe, PMP, CM.)
Use of the Chartered Marketer Logo
Chartered Marketers may use the CM logo in the following circumstances:
- Within the footer of professional correspondence
- Within an electronic signature (e.g. an email signature or at the end of a blog post)
- Within a personal profile page
In all circumstances, the logo use should include the text “Chartered Marketer” and should be linked to http://www.charteredmarketer.ca
Click here for a high resolution image of the CM logo
Documents to Download