September 21- November 29, 2020
November 30 - December 6, 2020
Video Instructor: Ernest Barbaric
Live Instructor: Vicki Waschkowski
Online Course Overview
The Digital Marketing Online Certificate is a 10-week introductory course designed for marketing professionals, managers, directors, leaders, entrepreneurs and business owners who want to understand and navigate the changing digital landscape. The course covers the most up-to-date information and best practices so you can make better marketing and business decisions. Some of the topics include:
- 5 Forces shaping marketing and business today, and how to intelligently navigate them.
- Working with influencers. Who they are, how to find them, and how to shape the relationship.
- The new world of search. From Micromoments and local SEO to Voice search and AI assistants.
- Going beyond website analytics. How to measure and track the entire digital customer journey.
- How to use storytelling to level up your content marketing, and connect with customers.
This is your opportunity to get up to speed on digital marketing developments and best practices. While this is a foundational course, we do touch on intermediate methodologies as well (like building a CX map). CMA is proud to bring you this innovative course so you can continue to build your confidence, knowledge and capacity as a marketing professional.
At the end of participating in this course, you should be able to:
- Intelligently use e-mail marketing to grow your audience, while remaining CASL compliant
- Design a lead generation funnel, using digital advertising, landing pages and micro sites
- Build business by using best practices for social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and Instagram
- Monitor and manage your online reputation
- Consistently develop compelling content for your customers
- Measure the impact of your digital marketing efforts and adjust your strategy accordingly
- Interaction with a digital marketing expert
- Latest technologies
- Integrated discussion boards
- Technical Support
- Anywhere and anytime access
- Flexible to suit your schedule
- No travel time
- Interactive learning experience
- Online Certificate in Digital Marketing awarded upon successful completion of all course requirements
CMA’s certificate program courses are designed to build on the skills and knowledge of marketing practitioners. Individuals must have at least one year of experience in a marketing-related role to take this course. The instructor will assume that students have a foundational understanding of the principles of marketing. All coursework must be completed in the required timeframe. Coursework includes 5 individual assignments, discussion questions and a final assignment. Students must achieve a final overall mark of 60% in order to qualify for a certificate pass.
Note: This course will count towards the prerequisite requirements necessary to enroll in the Chartered Marketer Program
This course is demanding, but very rewarding. Each session is comprised of a video-based multimedia presentation and a discussion question or assignment. On average we recommend that you will need at least 2-4 hours each week to view the session and complete coursework. You will be required to complete 5 individual assignments. Students will be given one week to complete the final assignment.
CMA’s introductory Digital Marketing Online Certificate course consists of instructor recorded videos, case studies, and discussion boards. Throughout the 10-week course students will be required to complete and submit a discussion post or assignment each week. This course also includes four live interactive webinars, during which students have the opportunity to engage with fellow students and to ask direct questions to the instructor.
The following is a general outline of the course content.
Session 1 – Understanding the Digital Landscape
- How content volume and algorithms affect today’s marketing efforts.
- Adapting to rapid tech innovation and hyper competitive environments.
- Designing integrated brand experiences today’s customers expect.
Session 2 – Your Digital Home Base
- The evolving role and function of a modern website.
- How to balance design, user experience and SEO.
- Best practices for design, usability, and conversions.
Session 3 — Social State of the Union
- Pros and cons of most popular social media channels.
- Where video, live streaming, and messaging platforms fit into the mix.
- Designing the criteria for social media channel selection.
Session 4 — Social Media Best Practices
- What’s the deal with engagement?
- Social listening and social customer service (right channel for the right job).
- Working with social media influencers and micro-influencers.
Session 5 —Digital Marketing Fuel (Ode to Content)
- From text to video to ephemeral — the changing face of content marketing.
- Storytelling structures and frameworks, and how to use them.
- Best practices in content marketing for branding and lead generation
Session 6 —The Ol'Faithful (E-mail Marketing)
- Extending the marketing funnel with e-mail and automation.
- Data and Privacy — what you need to know about CASL and GDPR.
- Best practices and techniques for effective e-mail marketing.
Session 7 — Mastering the New World of Search
- How voice and AI are changing search marketing.
- SEO fundamentals (on-page and off-page optimization).
- Best SEO practices for today's ranking factors.
Session 8 — Throw Money At It! (Digital Advertising)
- Understanding the necessity and role of PPC in modern marketing
- Essential elements of digital advertising from segmentation to retargeting.
- How to design a full-cycle digital sales funnel.
Session 9 — To Analytics and Beyond
- How analytics inform business and marketing decisions.
- Google analytics basics (Audience, Acquisition, Behaviour, Conversions)
- Key principles of selecting and tracking smart Key Performance Indicators.
Session 10 —Putting It All Together (Digital Customer Experience)
- What is CX, and how to use customer journey mapping to craft a digital strategy.
- Understanding and leveraging micro-moments to connect with your customers.
- Where and how to introduce automation and AI elements into your marketing.
Digital Marketing Strategist
Ernest is a trusted authority on digital marketing and social media. His work has been featured in Forbes, Mashable, The Financial Post, The Globe and Mail, Alberta Venture and Social Media Today, amongst others. His blog attracts over 10,000 readers and is often referenced by digital marketing professionals, while his podcast on meaningful work is rapidly growing an international audience on Stitcher and iTunes.
Ernest works with leaders, entrepreneurs and marketers, helping them improve marketing performance, engage customers and demonstrate thought leadership.
Ernest founded a Social Media for Business certificate program at Mount Royal University, where he teaches courses on Digital Marketing Strategy, and Reputation Management. In 2018, Ernest developed the Digital Marketing Certificate course for the Canadian Marketing Association.
Ernest keynotes and leads workshops internationally on the topics of digital branding and marketing, social media and communication trends.
Marketing Leader, Instructor, Speaker
An energetic and accomplished marketer, Vicki brings a unique mix of agency leadership, corporate strategy, marketing execution, and educational teaching & speaking. Vicki currently works across numerous capacities – as the founder of Hook Marketing, Professor of Marketing at Mohawk College, Professor of Social Media at Seneca College, and regular instructor and CM content developer for the CMA – and she enjoys sharing her depth of marketing insight with Canadian marketers.
Vicki has expertise in spearheading strong cross-channel integrated marketing campaigns, creating consumer loyalty programs and CRM efforts, driving e-commerce and digital experiences, producing social media content and community management strategies, new business development, and building brand awareness. She has a proven track record in Canada, U.S. and Mexico at consistently driving double-digit business growth and award-winning campaigns. Vicki’s experience has spanned over 20 years, on the leadership teams of some of Canada’s biggest marketing agencies and corporate franchises, with successful implementations across B2B, B2C and NFP industries. With a passion for marketing, a finger on the pulse of the industry, and an easy-going conversational approach, Vicki brings a contagious energy to all of her discussions.
"I'm very pleased with the course. Ernest's lectures were easy to understand and to the point. The course provided me with an overall knowledge of the Digital Marketing landscape. I look forward to taking another CMA course in the near future."
- Dolly Shanthakumar
"Good format, delivered in a way easy to learn and good use of examples to keep relevant."
- Peter Tsirigotis
“Ernest was a knowledgeable and enthusiastic instructor. Each week i learned something new which i was able to apply to my customers business.”
- Chris McLennan
“Ernest is a great instructor and uses such real and relative content. I learned so much. I put in a lot of time into this course to get the most out of it and appreciate all of the learning that I am now applying without even realizing it sometimes as the digital language has become more natural in my thought process.”
- Mitzy Gale
“I loved everything about it. Really informative and well presented. Loved the instructor's authenticity and passion for the subject matter.”
- Tara Chernoff
Certificate Course Cancellation Policy
Cancellation of enrollment must be received in writing (e-mail is acceptable) no later than 14 days before the start date of the course. An amount of 10% of the course fee (incl. HST) will be deducted to meet administration costs, and the remainder will be refunded. Registrations cancelled within 14 days of the course start date will NOT be refunded; however, another participant may be substituted to attend in place of the original registrant. Please contact Rebecca Worsfold, Online Courses Coordinator, at email@example.com.