Dates: September 17 - November 25, 2018
Final Assignment: November 26 - December 2, 2018
Online Course Overview
Updated for 2017, this introductory Digital Marketing Online Certificate course is an 10-week course designed for marketing professionals, entrepreneurs and business leaders to familiarize themselves with the digital marketing landscape and build their capacity to make better business decisions.
The way we communicate is shifting — in order to remain relevant, introduce new customers to your brand and develop lasting relationships with your existing customers you must be active where your ideal audience is expecting you to be.
This course focuses on the pillars of modern marketing and digital communications and will provide you with the skills to navigate the changing marketing landscape. CMA is proud to bring you this innovative course so you can continue to build your confidence, knowledge and capacity as a marketing professional.
At the end of participating in this course, you should be able to:
- Intelligently use e-mail marketing to grow your audience, while remaining CASL compliant
- Design a lead generation funnel, using digital advertising, landing pages and micro sites
- Build business by using best practices for social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and Instagram
- Monitor and manage your online reputation
- Consistently develop compelling content for your customers
- Measure the impact of your digital marketing efforts and adjust your strategy accordingly
- Interaction with a digital marketing expert
- Latest technologies
- Recorded videos with synchronized PowerPoint presentations
- Integrated discussion boards
- Technical Support
- Anywhere and anytime access
- Flexible to suit your schedule
- No travel time
- Interactive learning experience
- Online Certificate in Digital Marketing awarded upon successful completion of all course requirements
CMA’s certificate program courses are designed to build on the skills and knowledge of marketing practitioners. Individuals must have at least one year of experience in a marketing-related role to take this course. The instructor will assume that students have a foundational understanding of the principles of marketing. All coursework must be completed in the required timeframe. Coursework includes 5 individual assignments, discussion questions and a final assignment. Students must achieve a final overall mark of 60% in order to qualify for a certificate pass.
This course is demanding, but very rewarding. Each session is comprised of a video-based multimedia presentation and a discussion question or assignment. On average we recommend that you will need at least 2-4 hours each week to view the session and complete coursework. You will be required to complete 5 individual assignments. Students will be given one week to complete the final assignment.
Note: This course is applicable towards the Certified Marketing Specialist™ (CMS) designation. If you have questions regarding the course requirements or the CMS designation, please contact learning@theCMA.ca.
CMA’s introductory Digital Marketing Online Certificate course consists of instructor recorded videos, synchronized PowerPoint presentations and discussion boards. Throughout the 10-week course students will be required to complete and submit a discussion post or assignment each week. This course also includes four live interactive webinars, during which students have the opportunity to engage with fellow students and to ask direct questions to the instructor.
The following is a general outline of the course content.
Session 1 – Website
- Current design trends
- Your website as the digital marketing hub
- B2B and B2C website case studies
- 5 Point Website Design and Function Checklist
Session 2 – Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Fundamentals
- SEO – what works and what doesn’t
- On-Page optimization
- Off-Page optimization and how to get backlinks
- How to perform simple keyword research (even with latest Google updates)
Session 3 – Digital Advertising
- Digital Advertising and how it has evolved into a sophisticated system
- Google AdWord and Facebook Ads – how to create an ad
- Advanced segmentation and re-targeting features (Facebook Pixel)
- Introduction to Programmatic Marketing
Session 4 – Digital Sales Funnel
- Landing pages and what they are best used for
- What is a microsite, and how to use one for your organization
- How to design a Digital Sales Funnel
Session 5 – E-mail Marketing
- E-mail marketing and it’s benefits
- Software provider options
- Best practices for e-mail marketing
- Brief overview of Canada’s Anti-Spam Law (CASL) and privacy concerns
Session 6 – Analytics & Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO)
- Defining Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)– how to develop your own
- Walkthrough of the latest Google Analytics iteration
- Introduction to Google’s Search Console
- Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO)
- Alternative analytics software available
Session 7 – Content Marketing Toolbox
- What is Content Marketing, and why does it matter
- Content marketing options and channels
- Developing content ideas for your organization
- How to build an editorial calendar
Session 8 – Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Facebook – overview and best business practices
- Using Twitter as a tool for business and relationship development
- LinkedIn - how it can help grow your business
- How social media apps allow you access to mobile space
- Introduction to Omnichannel Marketing
Session 9 – YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest
- Understanding the Visual Web – what it is and how it impacts your business
- How to use Instagram to build your brand
- YouTube – overview and best practices
- How brands are using Pinterest to reach global audiences
- Introduction to Periscope and SnapChat as alternative visual social channels
Session 10 – Brand Reputation
- Importance of your online reputation and how it can impact your business
- How to monitor your online reputation – a Do-it-yourself guide
- Software solutions for online brand monitoring and management
- How to deal with negative reviews and comments
Digital Marketing Strategist
Ernest is a trusted authority on digital marketing and social media. His work has been featured in Forbes, Mashable, The Financial Post, The Globe and Mail, Alberta Venture and Social Media Today, amongst others. His blog attracts over 10,000 readers and is often referenced by digital marketing professionals, while his podcast on meaningful work is rapidly growing an international audience on Stitcher and iTunes.
Ernest works with leaders, entrepreneurs and marketers, helping them improve marketing performance, engage customers and demonstrate thought leadership.
In 2010, Ernest founded a Social Media for Business certificate program at Mount Royal University, where he teaches courses on Digital Marketing Strategy, and Reputation Management. In 2014, Ernest developed an online Digital Marketing Certificate program for the Canadian Marketing Association.
Ernest keynotes and leads workshops internationally on the topics of digital branding and marketing, social media and communication trends.
As an agency veteran, digital and direct marketing have been a professional passion of Robin’s for over 20 years. Perhaps her love of ‘accountability’ stemmed from her roots as a U of T graduate with a degree in Legal Ethics. Regardless of where it came from – Robin landed her first agency job in the Integrated Marketing Services division of Leo Burnett and has been hooked in the world of communications and agency management ever since.
Over the past 2 decades Robin has held a variety of senior management roles at some of the largest advertising networks in the world. Robin has also worked closely with the Canadian Marketing Association for the past 15 years. Originally as the chair of the Direct Marketing Council, Robin has also chaired the Digital Marketing Council, sat on their Board of Directors and currently teaches their Digital Marketing Course. Most recently, Robin has taught the CMA ½ day Content Marketing Course and is currently a Senior Judge for the annual CMA awards show.
When she’s not leading clients through business planning and brand activations, you can find her sourcing babysitters to pave the way for future travel expectations and shopping excursions.
Senior Director, Digital Marketing
With 20 years experience, Vicki brings a passion and energy to marketing across a broad spectrum of clients and a variety of integrated campaigns. She started out as a co-op student at Rapp Collins while completing her Honours BBA at Wilfrid Laurier University. Her experience there allowed her to cut her teeth on pure CRM and loyalty marketing, and she never looked back. Since then she has grown that passion for 1:1 and digital marketing, and continues to strive for new opportunities to marry data, technology and creative brilliance for her clients.
Vicki grew through the ranks of account management on the agency-side, at Rapp Collins, FCB, MacLaren McCann, Kenna, and The Marketing Store. Her experience focused primarily on driving strong acquisition and loyalty, and through this she has had the opportunity to work across many clients to deliver fully integrated marketing communications. Key client categories have included financial services, automotive, not-for-profit, retail, travel/tourism and B2B. Most recently she was the VP, Managing Director of FCB/SIX, focused on a number of client businesses as well as new business growth, before making the jump to the corporate world in 2017. Vicki is currently the Senior Director, Digital Marketing for Boston Pizza International, leading digital marketing and customer CRM efforts.
With the CMA, Vicki has served on the NFP Council, Vice-Chair of the Digital Marketing Council, judge for the CMA Awards, recurring online marketing teacher of Digital Marketing Fundamentals, and working with the committee responsible for launching the Chartered Marketer designation to the industry.
Head of Industry Financial Services
Sanjay Gosalia is the Head of Industry Financial Services at Google where he helps banks, insurers and payment networks shape their digital transformation, brand and marketing agenda.
Over the last 15+ years, Sanjay has held various marketing and product management roles in US financial service companies. At Discover, he was directly involved in launching many of their "digital firsts" from their first search and display campaigns, affiliate and social marketing and eventually programmatic. More recently, at Capital One Labs he lead their cultural and digital transformation efforts for their Partner credit brands which included talent acquisition, product design and development and corp dev.
Sanjay holds a master’s degree in Engineering from Washington University in Saint Louis and an MBA from Northwestern University Kellogg School of Management. He most proud about his time spent as a mentor, advisor and investor of Fintech and MarTech start-ups.
"I'm very pleased with the course. Ernest's lectures were easy to understand and to the point. The course provided me with an overall knowledge of the Digital Marketing landscape. I look forward to taking another CMA course in the near future."
- Dolly Shanthakumar
"Good format, delivered in a way easy to learn and good use of examples to keep relevant."
- Peter Tsirigotis
“Ernest was a knowledgeable and enthusiastic instructor. Each week i learned something new which i was able to apply to my customers business.”
- Chris McLennan
“Ernest is a great instructor and uses such real and relative content. I learned so much. I put in a lot of time into this course to get the most out of it and appreciate all of the learning that I am now applying without even realizing it sometimes as the digital language has become more natural in my thought process.”
- Mitzy Gale
“I loved everything about it. Really informative and well presented. Loved the instructor's authenticity and passion for the subject matter.”
- Tara Chernoff