May 4 - July 12, 2020
July 13 - July 19, 2020
Instructor: Ernest Barbaric
Online Course Overview
The Digital Marketing Strategy course is a 10-week long program, designed for marketing professionals, managers, directors and leaders, as well as small business owners and entrepreneurs.
The course will walk you through the essential elements of building a digital marketing strategy plan, from understanding and serving your ideal customers and setting digital marketing objectives, to content strategy and modern marketing management models.
Taking a 10,000 foot view, this course assumes you have working digital marketing knowledge and are looking for a way to organize your efforts in order to reach real business goals. While we will not be diving into minutia and details of each particular platform, there are additional resources available should you choose to take a deeper dive.
This course is applicable to both small businesses and enterprise-level organizations. The methods explored are scalable from a multi-year strategy to campaign level executions.
Along the way you will be applying your knowledge by completing assignments and participating in open discussions. At the end of the course, you will be developing a simple digital marketing strategy plan based on a real-world scenario.
Earn 10 CM CPD Credits
At the end of participating in this course, you should be able to:
- Design a digital marketing strategy and modify it to suit your specific needs
- Develop target market profiles, focused on understanding and serving customers (or stakeholders) motivations and behaviors
- Apply a selection process to digital marketing channels, in order to select the ideal marketing mix
- Strategically generate content to establish brand positioning and support sales
- Arrange marketing assets and coordinate efforts by using a flexible marketing and campaign calendar
- Understand different digital marketing management models and how to build or evolve into a digital-first team
- Interaction with a marketing expert
- Latest technologies
- Recorded videos with synchronized PowerPoint presentations
- Discussion boards for collaboration
- Technical Support
- Anywhere and anytime access
- Flexible to suit your schedule
- No travel time
- Interactive learning experience
- Online Certificate in Digital Marketing Strategy awarded upon successful completion of all course requirements
CMA’s certificate program courses are designed to build on the skills and knowledge of marketing practitioners. Individuals must have at least two years of experience in a marketing-related role to take this course. The instructor will assume that students have a foundational understanding of the principles of marketing and a working knowledge of digital marketing and social media channels. We will be looking at things from a 10,000 foot level and crafting a strategy plan to guide marketing activities. Students must achieve a final overall mark of 60% in order to qualify for a certificate pass.
Note: This course will count towards the prerequisite requirements necessary to enroll in the Chartered Marketer Program
This course is demanding, but very rewarding. Each session is comprised of a video-based multimedia presentation and a discussion question or assignment. The time required for the course will vary depending on your learning style. You are likely to invest 2 - 4 hours per week. If you wish to pursue a particular element in depth, there are additional resources - articles and videos - which may require additional time (1 - 4 hours, depending on the topic). You will be required to complete 5 individual assignments. Students will be given one week to complete the final assignment.
CMA’s Digitial Marketing Strategy Online Certificate course consists of instructor recorded videos, synchronized PowerPoint presentations and discussion boards. Throughout the 10-week course students will be required to complete and submit a discussion post or assignment each week. This course also includes four live interactive webinars, during which students have the opportunity to engage with fellow students and to ask direct questions to the instructor.
The following is a general outline of the course content.
- Environmental Scan
- Developing a digital strategy for a VUCA environment.
- Essential elements of modern digital strategy design.
- Collecting, understanding and applying the market forces to your strategy design
- Performing a Deep Digital Audit
- How to identify and improve current weaknesses of your digital presence.
- Performing a simple visibility, SEO, Social, and Mobile audit.
- Using data and analytics to deep dive into content effectiveness.
- Designing Target Market Profiles
- Selecting criteria for profile design, and how profile affect strategy trajectory.
- Importance of deeply understanding your customers in the modern market.
- Combining customer data with psychographics to create a customer profile.
- Creating Clear Digital Marketing Objectives
- How to connect organizational goals into digital marketing objectives.
- 5-steps for creating clear, precise, and measurable digital objectives.
- Detailed examples of objective frameworks and how they inform strategy development.
- Selecting Digital Marketing Assets
- Characteristics that turn a marketing channel into a digital marketing asset.
- Introducing agile and agnostic approach to your marketing mix evolution.
- How to select and grow the best performing channels for your goals.
- Content Strategy Development
- How to identify and overcome common content strategy challenges.
- Measured methodology for crafting compelling, native content.
- Designing content for specific channels and customer journey stages.
- Digital Customer Experience Design
- How to design and map intentional user flows, that meet strategic objectives.
- Best practices for creating a relationship-focused modern customer experience.
- Understanding and implementing key principles of successful digital experience design.
- Data Driven Marketing
- Understanding and using different KPI frameworks for strategy development.
- How testing and optimization are implemented to deliver marketing ROI.
- Examples and frameworks for data-driven decision making.
- Developing a Digital Marketing Calendar
- How to transition from plan to action. From annual planning down to daily tasks.
- Layering calendar types to maximize integration and streamline marketing efforts.
- Best practices to optimize each element of a marketing calendar.
- Digital Leadership
- Understanding digital transformation, and your role in the process.
- Adopting and adjusting to AI and Machine Learning in the workplace.
- Evolving skills, qualities and leadership mindsets required of digital leaders.
Digital Marketing Strategist
Ernest is a trusted authority on digital marketing and social media. His work has been featured in Forbes, Mashable, The Financial Post, The Globe and Mail, Alberta Venture and Social Media Today, amongst others. His blog attracts over 10,000 readers and is often referenced by digital marketing professionals, while his podcast on meaningful work is rapidly growing an international audience on Stitcher and iTunes.
Ernest works with leaders, entrepreneurs and marketers, helping them improve marketing performance, engage customers and demonstrate thought leadership.
In 2010, Ernest founded a Social Media for Business certificate program at Mount Royal University, where he teaches courses on Digital Marketing Strategy and Reputation Management. In 2014, Ernest developed an online Digital Marketing Certificate program for the Canadian Marketing Association.
Ernest keynotes and leads workshops internationally on the topics of digital branding and marketing, social media and communication trends.
Certificate Course Cancellation Policy
Cancellation of enrollment must be received in writing (e-mail is acceptable) no later than 14 days before the start date of the course. An amount of 10% of the course fee (incl. HST) will be deducted to meet administration costs, and the remainder will be refunded. Registrations cancelled within 14 days of the course start date will NOT be refunded; however, another participant may be substituted to attend in place of the original registrant. Please contact Rebecca Worsfold, Online Courses Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.