Apr. 9 - Apr. 15
Online Course Overview
The Digital Marketing Strategy course is a 10-week long program, designed for marketing professionals, managers, directors and leaders, as well as small business owners and entrepreneurs.
The course will walk you through the essential elements of building a digital marketing strategy plan, from understanding and serving your ideal customers and setting digital marketing objectives, to content strategy and modern marketing management models.
Taking a 10,000 foot view, this course assumes you have working digital marketing knowledge and are looking for a way to organize your efforts in order to reach real business goals. While we will not be diving into minutia and details of each particular platform, there are additional resources available should you choose to take a deeper dive.
This course is applicable to both small businesses and enterprise-level organizations. The methods explored are scalable from a multi-year strategy to campaign level executions.
Along the way you will be applying your knowledge by completing assignments and participating in open discussions. At the end of the course, you will be developing a simple digital marketing strategy plan based on a real-world scenario.
At the end of participating in this course, you should be able to:
- Design a digital marketing strategy and modify it to suit your specific needs
- Develop target market profiles, focused on understanding and serving customers (or stakeholders) motivations and behaviors
- Apply a selection process to digital marketing channels, in order to select the ideal marketing mix
- Strategically generate content to establish brand positioning and support sales
- Arrange marketing assets and coordinate efforts by using a flexible marketing and campaign calendar
- Understand different digital marketing management models and how to build or evolve into a digital-first team
- Interaction with a marketing expert
- Latest technologies
- Recorded videos with synchronized PowerPoint presentations
- Discussion boards for collaboration
- Technical Support
- Anywhere and anytime access
- Flexible to suit your schedule
- No travel time
- Interactive learning experience
- Online Certificate in Digital Marketing Strategy awarded upon successful completion of all course requirements
CMA’s certificate program courses are designed to build on the skills and knowledge of marketing practitioners. Individuals must have at least two years of experience in a marketing-related role to take this course. The instructor will assume that students have a foundational understanding of the principles of marketing and a working knowledge of digital marketing and social media channels. We will be looking at things from a 10,000 foot level and crafting a strategy plan to guide marketing activities. Students must achieve a final overall mark of 60% in order to qualify for a certificate pass.
This course is demanding, but very rewarding. Each session is comprised of a video-based multimedia presentation and a discussion question or assignment. The time required for the course will vary depending on your learning style. You are likely to invest 2 - 4 hours per week. If you wish to pursue a particular element in depth, there are additional resources - articles and videos - which may require additional time (1 - 4 hours, depending on the topic). You will be required to complete 5 individual assignments. Students will be given one week to complete the final assignment.
Note: This course is applicable towards the Certified Marketing Specialist™ (CMS) designation. If you have questions regarding the course requirements or the CMS designation, please contact learning@theCMA.ca.
CMA’s Digitial Marketing Strategy Online Certificate course consists of instructor recorded videos, synchronized PowerPoint presentations and discussion boards. Throughout the 10-week course students will be required to complete and submit a discussion post or assignment each week. This course also includes four live interactive webinars, during which students have the opportunity to engage with fellow students and to ask direct questions to the instructor.
The following is a general outline of the course content.
Session 1: Digital Marketing Strategy Design
- Difference between strategy and tactics
- Common ways to fail at digital marketing
- How to modify a strategy plan to suit your organizational needs
Session 2: Finding your Marketing Baseline
- Visibility & SEO audit
- Simple UX testing
- 4-step social media audit
- How to establish a baseline using analytics
Session 3: Target Market Profiles
- Pros and cons of using demographics-based targeting
- Building an advanced marketing persona
- Understanding behaviour and motivations of your ideal customers or clients
Session 4: Digital Marketing Objectives
- How digital marketing strategy fails
- 3 steps to define digital marketing objectives
- Setting channel specific goals
Session 5: Digital Marketing Channel Selection
- What is a marketing asset
- Channel options and Return On Time Invested
- Channel selection checklist
Session 6: Key Performance Indicators
- How to select KPIs
- Analytics data sources
- Applying KPIs to strategy planning
Session 7: Engagement Mapping & Staging
- Creating a digital marketing eco-system
- Mapping user movements across your digital marketing ecosystem
- Staging - how to prioritize digital marketing asset development
Session 8: Digital Marketing Content Masterclass
- Types and styles of content that best suit your brand
- Branding-based content development framework
- Sales-based content development framework
- Understanding cornerstone content and authority building
Session 9: Campaigns & Calendars
- How campaigns contribute to strategy
- Understanding and leveraging the seasonality of your business
- Key elements of a marketing calendar
- How to build a simple editorial and marketing calendar
Session 10: Digital Marketing Management
- Difference between traditional and digital-first marketing teams
- Roles and responsibilities of a modern marketing team
- 3 management models
- Legal aspects and engagement guidelines
Digital Marketing Strategist
Ernest is a trusted authority on digital marketing and social media. His work has been featured in Forbes, Mashable, The Financial Post, The Globe and Mail, Alberta Venture and Social Media Today, amongst others. His blog attracts over 10,000 readers and is often referenced by digital marketing professionals, while his podcast on meaningful work is rapidly growing an international audience on Stitcher and iTunes.
Ernest works with leaders, entrepreneurs and marketers, helping them improve marketing performance, engage customers and demonstrate thought leadership.
In 2010, Ernest founded a Social Media for Business certificate program at Mount Royal University, where he teaches courses on Digital Marketing Strategy and Reputation Management. In 2014, Ernest developed an online Digital Marketing Certificate program for the Canadian Marketing Association.
Ernest keynotes and leads workshops internationally on the topics of digital branding and marketing, social media and communication trends.
Experienced Social Media Manager and Marketing Professional, Speaker and Teacher
Marketing has been Nancy's career and passion for the past 20 years. Nancy is the Manager of Social Media with Travel Alberta, the provincial tourism marketing organization, and has been recognized for innovative use of social media marketing globally and as one of the top tourism social media brands in the world.
A passionate speaker and educator, Nancy has presented over 100 marketing workshops at locations around the province and has spoken at many provincial and several national and international conferences on digital marketing topics. She is an instructor in the Social Media for business program at Mount Royal University in Calgary.
"By the end of the course, you have a clear "template" to develop a digital marketing strategy that is unique and comprehensive."
- Joanna Persaud
"This course gave me an entirely new way of approaching digital marketing and made me aware of things I have never thought of, even though I am running digital marketing campaigns every day! Highly recommended."
- David Kynan
"I loved everything about this course - I received tremendous value - the framework that Ernest used was easy to follow, practical and actionable."
- Tara Chernoff
"The overall structure of the course is good in order to balance out the workload and focus on key topics every week. I also enjoyed the practical nature of this course in how we were able to apply the learnings to real-life brands/situations. Ernest is also an awesome prof! Great course! Would definitely recommend it."
- Heather Forbes