May 2, 2019
9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
3+ Member: $595
3+ Non-member: $795
250 Yonge Street
Copywriting isn’t just for copywriters anymore. Increasingly, people in a wide range of marketing and sales roles are asked to take on the responsibility for producing their own communications. The only problem is that many of these people have never been trained to write in this bolder and more playful form. That can lead to missed opportunities and frustration. The reality is that the ability to write communications that motivate, persuade and sell has become an essential workplace skill for people in businesses of all sizes – as well as non-profit organizations.
Earn 3.5 CM CPD credits
You Will Learn
- How to define your Key Message and boil it down to a single sentence.
- How to develop Headlines that break through using tools such as rhythm and parallelism.
- How to write in a more casual, staccato style that more closely replicates your speaking voice.
- How to integrate your brand’s voice, tone and key vocabulary into your communications.
- How to shape your communications for flow, brevity and impact.
- How to lead your readers to take action based on the viewpoint you express.
You Will Benefit From:
- The ability to write like a copywriter, so you can produce bolder communications that drive your message home with more flair, making it more memorable and persuasive.
- The integration of copywriting tools and techniques will increase the effectiveness of your regular day-to-day work-related correspondence.
- The ability to test different promotional ideas and messaging without relying as heavily on outside resources will make you more nimble in the marketplace.
Who Should Attend
- Anyone with sales or marketing responsibilities who at times must produce communications that are intended to generate leads or sales.
- Anyone who can benefit from an enhanced ability to write in the style and voice of a brand they represent.
- Anyone who is eager to inject a more dynamic writing voice into their day-to-day work-related correspondence.
Joel Sears has more than 25 years of experience writing advertising and marketing communications. He has written for a range of clients, from blue-chip multinationals to small professional services firms – in large agency settings and as an individual strategist/writer. After writing literally thousands of ads, brochures, websites, Point-of-Purchase materials and social media postings, Joel has developed a precise methodology that captures the creative process. The tools and techniques that he shares have the power to transform everyday writing into communications that deliver much stronger results. After participating in a Writeup workshop, you will be able to channel a more purposeful and galvanizing form of writing. Better yet, by following the process that Joel shares, you will be able to rely on your writing as a core career asset that advances your performance and that of your company or organization. You’ll discover that copywriting isn’t some dark art, but instead is a skill that can be learned and applied directly to your work.
Joel began his career as a journalist writing for consumer and business publications. He then spent close to a decade inside large advertising agencies working on both automotive and packaged goods accounts. His freelance career has been even more varied, writing everything from ads, websites, collateral materials and social media postings to speeches, videos, letters and white papers.