January 24 & 25, 2018
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
3+ Member: $945
3+ Non-member: $1145
250 Yonge Street
Essential Math Skills for Marketers
This course is a must in today’s business environment, as marketers are increasingly more responsible and accountable for the economic impact of their programs.
For many marketers, "number crunching" is often an anxiety-riddled exercise. However, let’s face it, marketing and sales is a numbers game. Learn how to calculate key business metrics to optimize costs and deliver better profits. This hands-on seminar examines some of the basic formulas and special arithmetic used in marketing driven companies.
Learn what is driving your senior management team from a financial perspective. Understand how to develop programs that will meet business objectives within budget parameters that will deliver positive financial results.
The math concepts covered are applicable to marketers of all products and services in both B2C and B2B industries.
Quantitative skills are becoming increasingly important for all marketers, don't get left behind.
*This seminar satisfies the Marketing Math component for the CMS designation. Candidates wishing to earn credit for this seminar must write a final exam. Please note, the exam is only mandatory for those completing the CMS designation.
*This is the last time the Marketing Math seminar will be offered in an in-person format.
You Will Learn
You Will Learn:
- How to understand and interpret the Key Performance Business Metrics that drive Marketing Strategies and Tactics
- How to calculate the key Marketing Metrics that tie to Key Business Performance Metrics
- How to analyze sales data to better identify opportunities
- How to develop a sales forecast and understand implications on company profits
- Calculate and understand Market Sizing, Market Share and Share of Wallet
- The composition of a basic profit and loss (P&L) statement
- How marketing impacts the overall business P&L
- How to calculate Return-on-Investment, Break-even and Payback for campaigns and marketing initiatives
- How to set up, calculate and interpret performance metrics for different marketing channels
- Marketing frameworks to help you get to the root problem, clarify issues and solve problems quickly
- Practical in-class exercises
- Take home handout materials
- Cheat sheet of formulas for future reference
- Explain and show how to calculate and solve typical marketing problems using various mathematical formulas
- Provide real life examples of everyday marketing situations with corresponding work sheets and solutions
- Provide a general overview of key metrics and financial drivers that are relevant to marketers
- Introduction and Market Analysis
- Percentages, Averages, Market Share, Market Penetration and Share of Wallet
- Business P&L Components
- Understanding the P&L: Profit, Revenue, Cost of Goods Sold, Gross Margin, Net Margin Contribution, Margin and Mark-up
- Key Marketing Performance Metrics
- Acquisition, Retention and Upsell Metrics and Return on Investment
- Marketing Channel evaluations and metrics
- Break-even, Payback, Cost per lead, Cost per Inquiry, Cost per Sale, Cost per Customer, Cost per Click, Bounce Rates, etc.
- Life Time Value and NPV
- Calculations and applications
- Building Marketing Budgets, Post Mortems and Summary
- Bottom-up and top down, allocation by major areas and tasks, industry benchmarks, post mortem formats, key metrics and benchmarks
Who Should Attend
- Marketers who feel uncomfortable with the financial side of marketing evaluation
- Marketers who want to brush up on some marketing math fundamentals
- Marketers who want to gain more responsibility within their roles and feel confident taking on financials
- All students pursuing the Certified Marketing Professional designation
This seminar covers the basic marketing math principles. Basic knowledge of Excel is required for this seminar.
Marketing leader and CMA professor Wendy Boyd, blends over 20 years of applied industry experience and best practices learning into financially driven advice on driving acquisition, retention and upsell. Wendy has worked on both client and agency side and has a successful track record at companies such as General Mills, American Express, Bell Mobility, Rapp Collins and Jam Direct.
Currently, Wendy is President of a consultancy called AM360 Inc. and teaches the Integrated Branding course with the CMA. She is well known for her expertise in measured marketing with a strong focus on analytics and customer driven marketing. Wendy has a passion for bringing together the art and science of Marketing, always with the view of financial and business success.