October 24, 2016
9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
3+ Member: $595
3+ Non-member: $795
250 Yonge Street
On a macro level, as marketers, we are meticulous in the way we manage our brands. But when it comes down the micro level, we are much less effective in our day-to-day business writing. That changes when we learn how to adapt our message, our voice and tone to different situations and different audiences.
This Power Writing Workshop will guide you through a controlled and deliberate approach to writing. It uses a Writing Dashboard concept to help you think through the strategic considerations for a piece of writing, before ever entering a keystroke. This workshop also explores techniques that can immediately give your writing added punch, clarity, and conviction.
The emphasis in this day-long workshop is on practical hands-on writing exercises that will expand the range of your writing voice – everything from writing a tabloid headline and lead paragraph to unscrambling some of the English language's most famous quotes. The result? This workshop won't only change your business writing. It will change your whole relationship with writing.
You Will Learn
You will learn the importance of:
- How to adjust your writing voice to suit a particular audience and situation.
- How to define your Mission, Target audience, and Strategic Angle to plot your winning argument.
- How to work with empathy, emotion and intimacy to make a more powerful connection with your reader; and to calibrate the message based on the dynamics of your relationship.
- How to "listen" to your writing, in order to translate the impact of your oral communication into written word.
- How to use techniques like rhythm, parallel construction and segues to create emphasis and to smooth out your writing.
You Will Benefit From:
- Greater confidence in your ability to convince others through writing.
- Broadening the range of styles and voices you can employ to make a stronger case for yourself.
- Tangible guidance about how to integrate your correspondence into an overall brand framework.
Who Should Attend
Whether you've been in the workforce for two years or 20, if your writing is important to your work, you will benefit from this workshop.
- Marketers who want to control their writing with the same precision they use to manage their brands.
- Professionals who frequently generate e-mails, reports, presentations and proposals.
- Professionals who see a link between their own writing performance and business performance.
* Please note the focus of this seminar is on business writing composition, not remedial writing. Basic writing skills are expected.
Joel Sears has more than 25 years experience in writing advertising and marketing communications. He has written for a variety of clients, ranging from blue-chip multinational companies to small professional services firms – in large agency settings and as a sole strategist/writer.
Joel began his career as a journalist, writing for consumer and business publications. He then spent close to a decade inside large agencies working on both automotive and packaged goods accounts. His freelance career has been even more varied, writing speeches, videos, letters and white papers, in addition to his core work in print and for websites.
Over the years, Joel has developed a methodology to precisely define his communications objective for each client and project. He has worked for years helping to articulate ideas that have contributed to the success of the companies and organizations he has worked for. Now, Joel wishes to share the secrets he has learned as a professional writer. He is focused on helping people use a new writing toolbox to dramatically rejig their writing.