Volunteer with the CMA
Join a council to provide thought-leadership for the marketing community!
- Be seen by marketing professionals as a senior thought leader in your area of expertise.
- Have opportunities to discuss key issues and emerging trends with other senior leaders.
- Help elevate the marketing profession in Canada by shaping the Chartered Marketer (CM) curriculum and event content.
- Build new business relationships and grow your network with like-minded marketing professionals.
- Receive complimentary admission to Council-focused events (usually 2 per year).
- Have your fee waived for your Chartered Marketer (CM) application. [Note: This offer expires on December 31, 2018.]
- Attend at least 80% of meetings.
- Actively participate in discussions and in the development and completion of initiatives.
- Attend Council-focused events (usually 2 per year – a complimentary ticket is provided).
- Apply for the Chartered Marketer (CM) designation prior to Oct. 31/18. (The application fee is waived for Council members.)
- Support promotion of CMA programs within your organization and business network.
- Be an advocate for CMA membership.
- Conduct yourself at CMA meetings and events in a professional manner, respecting the opinions of others and treating all with equality and dignity.
Our Councils are steering committees that:
- Examine current issues and emerging trends,
- Provide strategic insights and tools for marketing professionals, including original content (articles, white papers, podcasts, videos, webinars) and curated content,
- Act as event advisors, sponsor/content lead generators and promoters, and
- Promote topical content and events through their networks and social channels.
The Councils were set up to support the CMA’s vision to
- Create an environment for marketing to succeed,
- Ensure the strategic role of marketing is recognized and valued in organizations, and
- Build great marketers and exceptional business leaders.
- Council members are established thought-leaders with diverse perspectives from a variety of sectors with significant expertise (brand or agency side, usually with a minimum of 8 years of experience) in a key area of marketing (see Council mandates below).
- Each Council can have no more than one member from a particular company/corporate group.
- Council term typically runs from September to June.
- An orientation session is held in September with all Councils, where CMA management provides context and board priorities. Attendees then move to breakout sessions, where each Council begins to shape its workplan.
- In June, we hold a wrap-up session to celebrate the achievements of all Councils and wind up the year.
- Minimum commitment is one Council term.
- Currently, there is no maximum term of service.
- Councils meet once/month and members work between meetings on specific initiatives. Time commitment is 5-7 hours per month.
- Most Councils meet at the CMA office, centrally located (King and University) in downtown Toronto. Some Councils meet at a member’s office. Members from outside of the GTA participate by conference call.
- Councils establish a workplan with specific initiatives at the start of the Council term and manage/update project details and timeline as needed.
- Council members collaborate to complete the initiatives. Some are done by the Council as a whole, others through sub-groups and some are prepared individually.
- Initiatives are reviewed and approved by CMA before launching.
Mandates for Councils 2018-2019
The B2B Council develops and facilitates a strong value proposition for business-to-business members. It does so by engaging the B2B community in thought leadership, education, interactive events, knowledge sharing and networking opportunities.
Brand Strategy Council
The Brand Strategy Council provides thought leadership on key trends and hot topics related to brand strategy for Canadian marketers and agency professionals.
Customer Experience Council
The Customer Experience Council educates, shares, and leverages compelling customer experience initiatives and best practices that drive business results.
The CMA Insights Council provides thought leadership to Canadian marketers about leveraging data, analytics and consumer insights to improve business decision-making.
NEW IN 2018-19: Martech Council
The Martech Council provides thought leadership and insights to help marketers understand how to operate in the “new” through the use of technology, and is a leading source of information exploring evolving trends, human implications, business outcomes, and forward thinking leadership.
The Media Council brings profile to the changing media landscape, media innovations, and new emerging media platforms (technology and measurement).
The Not-For-Profit Council serves the unique interests of Canadian NFP marketers and fundraisers through education, advocacy and engagement with other marketing professionals.
Contact Ramya Ramanathan | Senior Manager, Councils | rramanathan@theCMA.ca | 416.644.3745