The Canadian Marketing Association is the voice of the marketing profession in Canada. The CMA's Public Affairs team:
- Provides forums for members to engage in thought leadership discussions on issues and trends that affect the marketing profession;
- Facilitates the development of strategic insights and tools for Canadian marketers;
- Guides the development of CMA positions on public policy issues to ensure an environment where consumers are respected and businesses can thrive;
- Oversees research planning and projects;
- Maintains a mandatory Marketing Code of Ethics & Standards, and a series of best practices and compliance guides, to help marketers maintain high standards of professional conduct; and
- Provides consumer information on relevant topics, such as the benefits of marketing, data protection, dealing with spam and avoiding fraudulent offers.
Latest CMA Updates
- Resource: Marketing Connected
- CMA Blog: Canada introduces new privacy legislation. Here is what marketers need to know
- CMA Blog: Are you ready to meet the upcoming accessibility deadlines?
- CMA Blog: Fraud and cybercrime prevention during COVID-19 and beyond
- CMA Bog: Navigating regulatory rules during the pandemic
- Resource: Chart - COVID-19 Federal support measures for businesses
- Resource: Chart - COVID-19 Federal support measures for individuals
- CMA Blog: Your privacy and security responsibilities during the pandemic
- CMA Submission: Response to OPC's Proposals for Ensuring the Appropriate Regulation of Artificial Intelligence
- CMA Blog: Competition Bureau outlines strategic vision to 2024, enforcement in online marketing a key priority
Canadian Marketing Code of Ethics & Standards
EU Privacy Law (GDPR)
- CMA Blog: GDPR Update: Cookies, new consent guidance and what's on the horizon
- How the GDPR Impacts Marketers - Challenging Common Misconceptions to Understand Europe's New Privacy Law
- CMA Guide: EU GDPR & ePrivacy (Members only)
- CMA Blog: GDPR's impact on Canadian businesses - preparing for EU's privacy law
- Webinar Recording: Europe's New Data Protection Regulation: What Canadian Marketers Need to Know
Canada’s Anti-Spam Law (CASL)
Privacy, Cybersecurity & Data Protection
- CMA Blog: Privacy Update - Provincial privacy law reform, final CCPA regulations and more
- CMA Blog: What marketers need to know about California's Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) Part 2
CMA Blog: What marketers need to know about California's Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) Part 1
- Resource: Updated CMA Guide to Privacy Compliance (Members only)
- CMA Submission: Response to Federal Government's PIPEDA Reform Proposals
- CMA Submission: OPC Consultation on Transfers for Processing
- CMA Blog: OPC Concludes Review of Third-Party Data Consent Rules: Status Quo to Continue
- CMA Blog: Ontario Data Strategy Consultations
- CMA Blog: How is "publicly available information" like a casette tape deck?
- Resource: Privacy Legislation Comparison Chart (CMA Members Only)
- CMA Blog: Government announced Digital Charter, announces PIPEDA review and more
- CMA Blog: New Transparency Framework Helps Inform Consumers and Builds Greater Loyalty
- Resource: CMA Guide: Transparency for Consumers
- PRIVACY NOW: Marketers, here is what you need to know!
- Mandatory Breach Regulations - Are You Ready?
Marketing to Children
- CMA Guide: Marketing to Children & Teenagers
- CMA submission - Bill S-228 (prohibiting food and beverage marketing directed to children)
- CMA submission to Standing Committee on Health - Bill S-228 (prohibiting food and beverage marketing directed to children)
- CMA consultation response: "Towards Restricting Unhealthy Food & Beverage Marketing to Children"