The Canadian Marketing Association is the voice of the marketing profession in Canada. The CMA's Public Affairs team:
- Provides forums for members to engage in thought leadership discussions on issues and trends that affect the marketing profession;
- Facilitates the development of strategic insights and tools for Canadian marketers;
- Guides the development of CMA positions on public policy issues to ensure an environment where consumers are respected and businesses can thrive;
- Oversees research planning and projects;
- Maintains a mandatory Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice, and a series of guides, to help marketers maintain high standards of professional conduct;
- Provides consumer information on relevant topics, such as the benefits of marketing, data protection, dealing with spam and avoiding fraudulent offers.
Latest Regulatory Developments
- CMA Blog: Government announced Digital Charter, announces PIPEDA review and more
- CMA Blog: Competition Bureau Updates
- CMA Blog: Time to make fraud prevention your business
- CMA Blog: Why changes to trademark law matter and what you can do to prepare
- CMA Blog: Thinking of running a contest? Start here.
- CMA Blog: Want to trademark a scent, 3D object or hologram? Here's what you need to know.
- CMA Blog: New Transparency Framework Helps Inform Consumers about Privacy and Build Greater Loyalty
- CMA Guide: Transparency for Consumers
- CMA Blog: Protecting personal information: cannabis retailers and purchasers take note
- CMA Blog: Advocacy in Action: Key Developments in 2018
- CMA Guide: Permitted Cannabis Marketing Activities
- CMA Blog: PRIVACY NOW: Marketers, here is what you need to know!
- CMA Blog: How Green are your offerings? Know the rules.
- How the GDPR impacts marketers
- Québec announces changes to Consumer Protection Act (including loyalty programs)
- New Consent Guidelines and their impact to your business
- Data Privacy Study: Canadian Consumer Attitudes
Code of Ethics & Standards of Practice
EU Privacy Law (GDPR)
- How the GDPR Impacts Marketers - Challenging Common Misconceptions to Understand Europe's New Privacy Law
- CMA Guide: EU GDPR & ePrivacy (members only)
- CMA Blog: GDPR's impact on Canadian businesses - preparing for EU's privacy law
- Webinar Recording: Europe's New Data Protection Regulation: What Canadian Marketers Need to Know
Canada’s Anti-Spam Law (CASL)
Privacy, Cybersecurity & Data Protection
- CMA Blog: New Transparency Framework Helps Companies Inform Consumers about Privacy and Build Great Loyalty
- CMA Guide: Transparency about Personal Information
- PRIVACY NOW: Marketers, here is what you need to know!
- Mandatory Breach Regulations - Are You Ready?
- Data Privacy Study: What the Canadian Consumer Really Thinks
- Internet of Things: Connected Devices & Autonomous Vehicles
Marketing to Children
- CMA Guide: Marketing to Children & Teenagers
- CMA submission - Bill S-228 (prohibiting food and beverage marketing directed to children)
- CMA submission to Standing Committee on Health - Bill S-228 (prohibiting food and beverage marketing directed to children)
- CMA consultation response: "Towards Restricting Unhealthy Food & Beverage Marketing to Children"